Nasi Lemak and Roti Tampal @ Restoran Ceria #selangorlicious

I love to travel and whenever I explore new places whether within Malaysia or outside, it is the food memories that excite me the most.

“Eat like a local” has always been my style and so far minus a few rare stomach upset cases, it has been a great way to enjoy local food and I’ve been successfully avoiding eating in over-priced tourist traps whenever I travel. One thing that I always do is to Google on places to go for good food before each trip and the online community are always there to help me find the best cuisines.

Thanks to Tourism Selangor, I can now contribute back to the online community by sharing my share of best places to eat in my home state of Selangor.

The #Selangorlicious campaign is back for the second year and this time it’s more delicious with three parts of the campaign – Selangorlicious Foodster Blogging Competition, Selangorlicious EatOut and ‘Selangorlicious Good Food Guide’ & ‘Selangorlicious Ramadhan Promotion Guide’. Click here for more info.

In supporting the campaign, I’ll start my Selangorlicious food tour with a sharing of my 7 favourite places for food in Shah Alam. Why Shah Alam? This is the city I call home for the last 30 years and it’s about time that I blog about it starting with these 7 favourite places to eat.

********

First on the list is my favourite spot for breakfast, Restoran Ceria in Section 3 Shah Alam.

It may look like a very quiet and dull restaurant from outside but never judge a book by its cover!

This restaurant is actually quite famous within Shah Alam-ians for its original Nasi Lemak and Roti Canai. It may not be as established and as famous as some nearby Nasi Lemak restaurants but Restoran Ceria has its own uniqueness in terms of taste, fast service and friendly customer interaction.

Never mind the simple setup. It is comfortable enough and people come here purely for the good food….

and this is that I meant by a GOOD FOOD! A must-try dish, Nasi Lemak Sotong.

The beauty of Ceria’s Nasi Lemak is in its sambal. It’s a bit spicy but that adds the kick into the dish and goes well with the Nasi that always smells and tastes good.

The additional sambal sotong is equally good as the squids are not too chewy and hard.

If Nasi Lemak is not your cup of tea, I highly recommend another famous dish you can find in Restoran Ceria, which is the Roti Tampal Telur Goyang.

It may sound funny or even wrong but do not feel shy to confidently order this Roti Tampal Telur Goyang the next time you’re here. The Roti Canai itself tastes good and similar to those I used to enjoy in warungs in kampong, but to top it with a nice ¾-cooked sunny-side-up egg makes it perfect.

Lastly another dish that is a must-try here is the Cakoi/char koi (or whichever name you call it) with kaya. Fresh from the frying pan!

One is never enough!

If you want to start a weekend on the right foot or kill off that Monday blues, start your day with a full breakfast here in Restoran Ceria and you can be assured that it will make you ceria (and full!) for at least a good few hours 🙂

Restoran Ceria Seksyen 3 Shah Alam, Wisma MAIS, (Landmark: behind Sect 3 McDonalds)

My overall rating:
Cleanliness: 4/5
Ambience: 3/5
Food Quality: 5/5
Service Quality: 4/5
Value for money: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

You have any suggestions on places to eat? Why not share it at Selangorlicious’ website and win great prizes worth RM36,000.00. Yes, that’s right! Eat, Write and you might actually Win something. Only at Selangorlicious. 🙂

Share this delicious Nasi Lemak on your FB and Twitter:

[facebook]http://www.azuanzahdi.com/index.php/2012/06/25/nasi-lemak-and-roti-tampal-restoran-ceria-selangorlicious/[/facebook]

[retweet]http://www.azuanzahdi.com/index.php/2012/06/25/nasi-lemak-and-roti-tampal-restoran-ceria-selangorlicious/[/retweet]

Next: 6 more great places to eat in Shah Alam!

1. eyriqazz June 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

good luck bro…eden tak join kot..confirm eden tak menang..hik3..

2. azuan June 26, 2012 at 12:06 am

thanks bro… aku masuk seronok2 bro… tolong promo negeri kelahiran tercinta hehehe

3. adam June 26, 2012 at 2:01 am

Nampak sedap. Sekarang rasa takut plak

4. nahij June 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

sedap nya.. u make me wanna eat nasi lemak now!!!! huhu

5. mulan June 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm

wowwww… drooling here… jauhnya nak pi..

6. Man June 26, 2012 at 5:00 pm

bloody hell now i’m also craving for Nasi Lemak!

Ohhh i never know about this Selangorlicious. Time to take out that macro lens and give you a run for the money!

7. azuan June 27, 2012 at 8:30 am

Mulan: maybe next time kalau mai Shah Alam boleh singgah… 🙂

Man: I’m doing my part in promoting it. Selangor has a lot of great places and i foresee Selangorlicious to be a cool one-stop reference for good food. 🙂

8. Spongebob Tercekik June 27, 2012 at 8:56 am

wow. i live almost 3 years in shah alam and never try this restaurant before. must try after this..

9. azuan June 27, 2012 at 9:24 am

Fuyoooo Spongebob Tercekik. Unik tu nama! hehe

10. JFoodie June 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

I used to stay in Shah Alam too…but now already moved to Subang Jaya.
    What I remember abt Section 3 is there’s one Sekolah Agama there.

Anyway, you captured the food nicely. Looks great!

I love Nasi Lemak but I’m rather picky. I like Sambal Pedas…but nowadays it’s hard to find one that’s pedas. Most sambal are manis, which I dont really fancy. 🙁

(Recommend one to me if you ever found any Nasi Lemak Sambal Pedas!)

And anyway, Yu Char Kwei is a Chinese kueh… eating that with kaya is inovative, I would say! Maybe one day, I’ll try dip it with caramel. 😉

Keep blogging and keep us all hungry and wanting! Heh heh

Cheers!

• azuan June 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hi JFoodie,

Thanks for dropping by. Yes this sambal is quite pedas so go give it a try!

and thanks for pointing out on Yu Char Kwei, 🙂 that’s why food is a good unity tool as we Malaysians makan everything – Malay, Chinese, Indian all sapu! hahaha

btw since you are foodie, why not join Selangorlicious. You can win great prizes by just doing what you are already doing 🙂

11. hazman aka species1980 July 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Perghhh…. bro buat eden nak makan tiga2x menu untuk slot HAZMAN vs FOOD je nie… tapi nak dapat cakoi panjang cenggitu agak susah ….even kat pasar malam pun diorang dah MINIMIZEkan saiz cakoi tue….ahhahaha

12. jihab July 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

at my hometown cakoi to be eat with sambal… something different to try cakoi deep in fresh kaya.

13. F July 16, 2012 at 10:12 am

Balik dari backpacking Andalusia 1 july hari tu, mendarat di KLIA je, paksa my friend bawa pergi breakfast kat restoran ni. Kita try nasi lemak, roti tampal dan cakoi. Hmm.. Tapi agak disappointed sikit. Nasi lemak tu sambalnya manis, suka pedas. Roti tampal tu pula agak sejuk, mungkin diaorang dah buat siap2 kot, so kalau ada customer order, terus bagi je.
    Cakoi pun dapat sejuk, tapi kalau panas-panas tu mesti garing dan sedap. Overall, agak kecewa sebab excited nak makan sedap sebaik mendarat, tapi…

• azuan July 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

Salam F,

Alamak mengecewakan nya baca. Ada complain dekat tukang kedai tak?

So far saya pergi time pagi2 and Alhamdulillah nasi sentiasa berasap and roti tampal pun memang panas sebab dia buat time tu jugak. Cakoi memang kena tengok time, make sure dia baru masak baru layan.

Btw sambal tu bagi saya agak pedas, mungkin lain citarasa kot.

Maafkan saya kalau review tak sama dgn makanan but please complain dekat owner (or cashier) supaya kualiti dapat dijaga. Saya ingat nak try sebelum puasa and will complain dekat diorng kalau kualiti tak sama 🙂

14. alinjr July 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Tempat lepak paling best. Seriously.
    I like the nasi lemak.