Krabi Trip Day 1: Ao Nang Beach

It’s “jalan-jalan” time once again!

The end of the year is always a good time to take a break, chill out and reflect on the hard work that was put in continuously throughout the year. My wife and I are fortunate that our wedding anniversary is on the 27th of December and that allows us to have a 2-in-1 celebration every year, the year-end break + wedding anniversary.

Alhamdulillah we were lucky to be able to secure cheap air fares on Air Asia for a 4 Days 3 Nights trip to Krabi Thailand on the last week of 2011. So the year of 2011 ends with a romantic adventure for two to Ao Nang Krabi and its nearby islands!

On day 1, by the time we arrived in Krabi it was already late afternoon thanks to the long immigration queue at the Krabi airport. After a 40 minutes cab ride we arrived at our pre-booked hotel in Ao Nang, the Centara Anda Dhevi Resort & Spa Krabi (เซ็นทารา อันดาเทวีรีสอร์ทแอนด์สปา กระบี่).

Centara Dhevi is a nice new resort which I would give a 4.5 star rating for its facilities, location and service. A great place for honeymooners and special occasions like wedding anniversary celebration.

Ao Nang is a small resort town that has its own charm. Beaches, connections to islands, shopping, seafood and bars are common attractions in Ao Nang. Similar to Phuket with probably 50% less happening nightlife and party which is perfectly fine for me!

Almost all the shops, bistros, restaurants and tour operators are within walking distance..

…but there are still public transportation available for anyone to hop on.

Private ‘tuk-tuk’ for 20 Baht per trip per person around Ao Nang

We continued walking for a good 15 minutes on the road that leads towards the Ao Nang Beach.

Despite this particular stretch of the beach being used for embarking to speed boats, the beach remains clean and gave a good vibe to the image of Ao Nang as an unpolluted laidback beach town.

Nevermind the typos and spelling mistakes, the message is clear and serves as a friendly reminder.

The beach at Ao Nang isn’t perfect, but it is a good spot to base yourself for the island excursions departing every morning from the Ao Nang Beach.

After checking out a few tour operators, we decided to randomly pick one to arrange our day 2 activities – an island excursion to Hong Island and its surrounding islands.

Almost everything is negotiable which may be good news or bad news depending on the type of person you are. I’m quite bad with bargaining but Krabi people are friendly enough so it was not too bad.

Saw this cute Volkswagen as we were walking back to the hotel.

One excellent thing about Krabi is the availability of Halal food. It’s everywhere! I personally think this is a very big plus point as Muslim visitors like me would be able to taste local cuisine prepared in halal manner. This is something I don’t get to experience in many countries.

Pancakes, deep fried shrimps and spring rolls are as common as seeing someone in 2-piece bikini. Ok, bad comparison.

We decided to try some Krabi street food for dinner.

A mobile Tom Yam stall. It was impressive witnessing delicious meals being prepared at the comfort or discomfort of seating on a bike.

And of course Banana Pancake for dessert. These so-called pancakes are actually ‘roti canai’ with toppings. It’s quite tasty especially eaten hot with the right toppings.

We spent most of the evenings in Krabi in our hotel room. After all what’s the point of spending so much on hotel if you don’t make full use of it right? It was nice just chilling out at the balcony watching the view and enjoying the sea breeze and a plate of banana pancake.

Thinking of going to Krabi? I strongly suggest AGODA for your hotel arrangement, you can search multiple hotels at one time and compare the prices to get the best deals. I actually secured a 40% off from the published rate!

[facebook]http://www.azuanzahdi.com/index.php/2012/01/23/krabi-trip-day-1-aonang-beach/[/facebook]

[retweet]http://www.azuanzahdi.com/index.php/2012/01/23/krabi-trip-day-1-aonang-beach/[/retweet]

1. Adam January 23, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh this is how krabi looks like. Menarik nih.

2. farrah January 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

i always wanna go to krabi, but still finding the right time to suit my hub’s tight schedule. sigh. is it safe for woman to travel alone there you think?

3. asnida January 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

I can’t wait for your trip report on the islands!

4. Muhammad Amir (amir5339) January 24, 2012 at 1:50 am

how nice krabi
    hope can go one day

5. Bella Enveeus January 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Krabi.. Interesting! I like the fact about the Halal food. Memang tempat lain susah sikit wanna get Halal food.. Oh, one glance at the photo of your wifey, I actually thought it was a real monkey behind her.. LOL! Tergezut sekejap..

6. Surin Beach Hotel January 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Woww!!! nice trip. If you can’t decide for your next trip…Phuket is the best choice for you!!

7. Clive January 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm

bestla ur life brader! so jealous!
    u r now officially my role model! dah lama da,tapi skrang announce!hehe

i want to be like abg azuan!

8. norridah February 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Hi azuan, i like yr blog. Am planning for hatyai & krabi trip end of tis year. Few questions to ask, should i buy the island hopping tour in krabi itself or shud i buy online? Which is cheaper.? Hv to really plan on this as the will be 10 of us going. Hope u don’t mind me asking the price u paid. Thanks!

9. Jack Hassan February 28, 2012 at 12:45 am

Oh ok, I was confused with Kok Lipe.

10. adriana October 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Hey, mind me asking what flight do u recommend us to take? And what’s the price like from krabi airport to ur hotel? What did u took from the hotel back to the airport, and the price? Sorry for asking so much questions, it’s just that i alrd book the hotel for my honeymoon on nov 2012 and just wanna know how much to set aside to my budget hehe 😀

• azuan October 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

Hi Adriana, no worries. as ke me as many questions as you like and i’ll try to answer.

Take Air Asia, choose good seats and take meals and baggage when you buy the tickets. Krabi airport to hotel in Aonang is a set taxi price. I can’t remember how much but it is regulated so just buy at the counter and not too expensive if i remember correctly.

• adriana October 19, 2012 at 1:48 am

hey azuan, thanks for replying my questions! Here’s a few more, if u dont mind hehee..so what do u is the budget i should put a side for 4days3nights trip?i really need to know…if not my krabi honeymoon will be more like a wasted trip u see..and is there any motorcycle rental near ur hotel area or ao nang? Hope to hear from u soon :DDD

• azuan October 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

Hi Adrianna,

Here are a few tips for honeymoon:

a) Surprise your partner with special arrangement with hotel you’re staying. I did this by calling them in advance asking for a specially decorated room.
        b) Budget wise depends on your interest. I spent most of my money on the island trips. For food, I go for both restaurants (ala Thai Restaurant in KL) and street food (ala Gerai Thai) and i also packed some food (Brahims, Sardines) for in-room makan. To be honest i cant remember exactly how much i spent but i think less than RM1000 excluding flight and hotel.
        c) Don’t be too stressed out with the arrangement, just spend the first half of your first day walking at Aonang and check out all the tours and decide from there what to do for the rest of your trip.
        d) Plenty of bikes to rent 🙂
        e) I want a fridge magnet! hahahaha

Have a good trip dear!

11. Adreena December 14, 2012 at 3:22 am

your blog post made me wanna go to Krabi right away! thanks for the info 🙂

12. Azmil December 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Just saw your blog bro..very nice tips..skrg tgh survey hotel2 yg menarik kat krabi..actually, my friend buat trip ke Krabi next year..tiket flight dah settle,tinggal nk survey hotel je.Just nak tanye pasal transport kat Krabi,mahal ke?Sebab kitorang pergi ramai2,kena make sure transport ape yg sesuai time kat sana nanti 🙂

13. JebadZ April 6, 2014 at 11:13 am

Assalam bro… nk tny, psl island hoping, nk tny name tour operator yg bro amek tu? plan to visit Krabi on May’14