The Best Birthday Celebration! Part 1

Today, one day from my actual 28th birthday (my birthday is on 9th Nov), I had the best Birthday Celebration ever! Thanks to my other half, my best friend and few of my good friends, my turning 28 celebrations is something I will remember throughout my life. After so many years of BBQ Birthday party, family dinner and cake cutting birthday celebrations, I wanted to do something different this year. Something that makes me appreciate more on what I have for the last 28 years.

And my wish was granted; something different is what I got. Introducing the theme for my 28th birthday celebration,

“Azuan’s Birthday Celebration and Fun Time with less-fortunate Kids”.

It was not a high-profile charity event. NO big names. NO Vips (except for the Kidsof course). NO News Coverage. NO Glamour. NO Big Time Sponsors. Just effort from the heart. .

It makes so much sense. I love children, I love helping less-fortunate children, I love conducting fun kid’s activities. And what more can I ask for then having to do something fun alongside my other half and my good friends. Preparations were made by my other half and my best friend and within days we have managed to secure a place to visit and conduct my birthday celebration.

Here are some photos of the great birthday celebration!

At 9:15am, we arrived at the orphanage, a small privately run house registered with the authorities which houses 13 orphans from different ages.

Last minute-preparation while waiting for the rest to arrive.

The guest list. The Abang-Abang and Kakak-Kakak for the event! These are my friends (and my wife) who sacrificed their Sunday morning to celebrate my birthday with these less-fortunate kids. I salute them for their time and effort.

Jiji briefing everyone on the event flow.

At 10am we were introduced to the kids. At this point, they were all very reserved and quiet as they were not familiar with any of us.

Zamil started with the ice-breaking session, a simple “Do-This and Do That Gate”

Slowly they started to smile and be more comfortable with us.

Jiji and Ayu dividing the kids to 3 different groups.

Group 1 with Neeza

Group 2 with Alicia

Group 3 with Ayu

The 1st Game – Blindfold Walk, a game of trust, where group members have to guide the blindfolded members to walk across a path surrounded by ‘explosives and mines’.

The 2nd Game – Hit the Bulls Eye, a game of teamwork and planning with the objective of putting the plastic ball on the bull’s eye by blowing through the giant straw. It was easier said than done but all three groups managed to hit the bull’s eye.

The 3rd Game – Egg Drop. A classic problem solving with the task of building an egg package that can sustain a 2 foot drop.

Birthday Boy giving out the Morale of the Story for each game

Makan-time, we ordered Dominoes Pizza. For some of the kids, it was their first time eating Dominoes so we ordered 12 regular pizzas with different toppings.

Yummy!

No Birthday celebration is complete without a Birthday Cake!

The Kids sang Happy Birthday and Memories to us, a great performance 🙂

After 4 hours, we left the house feeling happy and satisfied.

No money can buy the sense of satisfaction in each of us seeing the kids smiled and laughed throughout the morning. I’m glad that I spent money to do all this rather than a normal BBQ celebration we always had at home. Not that I’m now all noble and 100% charity oriented, but it feels damn good to once in a while stop thinking about myself and start to feel thankful of what I have everyday in my life. And being with these kids help me to realize how lucky I am.

And that’s the best birthday gift that I can ask for 🙂 Happy Birthday Me!

1. Clive November 9, 2009 at 2:41 am

You have made me respect you even more,abg! 2 thumbs up! salute you bro! 😀

2. Clive November 9, 2009 at 2:45 am

btw,happy birthday!

happy bday to u!
    happy bday to u!
    happy bday abg azuan rock!
    happy bday to u!

slamat tua abang! hoohohoho

3. Arief November 9, 2009 at 7:45 am

Most people would only go to a rumah amal because they have to or for an event, but instead, you celebrated your birthday with those kids!

You are truly a noble and kind person.
    Happy Birthday.
    May Allah bless you always.

p/s: whats the moral of the ‘drop the egg’ game?
    always protect your package, is it?
    hahaha X)

4. Azhar November 9, 2009 at 9:39 am

Wow… nice photos. and Happy Birthday!

5. Ritzsyde November 9, 2009 at 10:39 am

Ya Allah..
    betul-betul kagum.

Allah love u.
    Insyaallah

6. Lin Ai Feng November 9, 2009 at 11:43 am

happy birthday Azuan! May God bless you. You are one great guy!

7. Lorraine November 9, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Hello? hello? see i’m here to comment on Mr. Azuan’s blog! 😛 Is that one sentence already? oh good. What to do when you said you’re going to write the Birthday boy the longest comment on his post! (one paragraph done!) 😛

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀
    (add in the greeting)

You’re the most awesome boss ever! Thank you for everything you’ve done for me, NDO and everyone else. I’ve learnt a lot in the last 5 years and it would never have happened if you never gave me a chance. 🙂

So thank you and i’ll be back tomorrow again to comment on your visit to the orphanage! 😛 G’night!

8. Lorraine November 9, 2009 at 11:54 pm

By the way, someone added a link to your blog on NDFP.. i mean a reader. Go check out the ‘just fans’ section of the wall. Must be a big fan of yours! 😛

9. azuan November 10, 2009 at 7:11 am

Lorraine: That’s one long comment 🙂 Long enough for my spam filter to stop it and wait for my approval hahaha Thanks anyway!

Arief: the morale of egg drop is for u to jaga telur masing2… hahaha

10. Lorraine November 12, 2009 at 2:00 pm

What you’re doing here remind me of the Causes app on Facebook that asks people to ‘donate’ their Birthday by using their Status to ask friends to join/donate to that Cause.

I think you’re a great example of ‘Personal Social Responsibility’ and I think that you and kak Jihan are going to make very good parents 🙂

Happy Birthday!

11. ridz ahmad November 12, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Wan,

Very the touching laa bro…respect…respect!
    Happy 28th birthday….

12. Lorraine November 12, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Hahaha.. then i really need to brush up on my ass-kissing skillz! 😛

13. hOtspUrz November 13, 2009 at 2:26 pm

happy belated birthday bro!!! may Allah bless U..^_^

14. Pingback: SkyTrex Adventure with Kids from a Rumah Anak Yatim - My World

15. Pingback: 2009: A Year in Review - My World

16. chandrika November 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I was searching for party ideas to celebrate my kid’s birthday and read ur story.

Many many thanks . This is the best party idea I have ever seen. will celebrate it for my kid the same way.